There is a long list of things that you can’t have when you discover that you have diabetes. Let me rephrase that; you can have them, but they will eventually kill you. I’m talking about things like rice, cakes, cookies, sugar, bread, and PIZZA. I have a love-love relationship with pizza. When I was younger, I worked at Domino’s pizza; it was one of the best jobs I’ve ever had. It was mindless; the people were fun, etc. I could go to work, make some pizza, and when my shift was done, I didn’t have to think about it. As you get older, you begin to realize how important those jobs are.
I’ve gone through many a pizza stone. I used to make my dough, freeze it and make myself pizza for dinner when I wanted it. When I was a kid, we lived on Long Island, and we went to this place called Frank’s Pizzeria. They made the best Sicilian pizza in the world. Maybe it was because I was a kid, I’m not sure, but I’ve been searching for something like that out here in Los Angeles. I even love the greasy bottom of the pizza hut deep dish pizza. It turns out that I’m a simple person.
You all know that I’ve been obsessed with the chaffle’s lately, so I had a great idea, why not make a pepperoni chaffle pizza? I gathered all of my ingredients. I’ve been adding a little bit of almond flour to my chaffle’s because it makes it a little bit more like bread.
I mixed the egg, almond flour, cheese, oregano, onion powder and garlic powder into this measuring cup while I heated up my waffle maker. I used the normal-sized waffle maker because I wanted to have my own big personal pizza!
Once the waffle maker was heated up I placed the mixture into it. First, I added a thin layer of the Mexican cheese to the bottom of the waffle iron, then I put the mixture down and put a little bit of parmesan and Mexican cheese on top. You can use whatever cheese you want, this was just what I had on hand.
Once it came out of the waffle iron, I put it on a sheet pan with some parchment paper.
Next, I put some Rao’s marinara sauce on the waffle. I like Rao’s because it has a little less sugar than the other brands.
Then I put a thin layer of parmesan cheese on top of the marinara sauce.
Next, I stacked up that pepperoni. Get it piled nice and high; who doesn’t love a lot of pepperonis?
Then I put some more Mexican cheese on it and also added some parmesan.
I put it in a 425-degree oven for five minutes; next time, I think I’ll give it a few more minutes to get the cheese nice and melted.
I love how the waffle lines help you distinguish between the four different pieces.
That’s it! Enjoy. It was completely delicious and every time I want pizza I’m going to make it this way from now on! I think, with a nice salad, this is the perfect meal.
Chaffle Pepperoni Pizza
A personal deep dish style chaffle pizza.
- 2 Eggs
- 1.5 Tablespoon Almond Flour
- 1/2 cup of Mexican cheese, or your favorite cheese blend.
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Rao’s Marinara Sauce
- Pan spray
- Preheat a full size waffle maker and also put your oven on 425 degrees to pre-heat.
- In a bowl or measuring cup crack two eggs, add 1/4 cup of Mexican cheese or your favorite cheese blend and almond flour and stir. Add garlic powder, onion powder and dried oregano and stir.
- Once waffle maker is ready spray it with your pan spray and then add a layer of cheese to the bottom of the waffle iron. Put the mixture into the waffle iron, making sure to spread it around evenly, and then add more of the cheese to the top of it.
- Let it cook until the waffle maker light goes off. While that is cooking get a sheet pan and a piece of parchment paper out.
- Once finished take the waffle out and put it on the sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Add a layer of marinara sauce, then a thin layer of parmesan cheese, then pepperoni, then more cheese.
- Put in a pre-heated oven on 425 degrees for 5-10 minutes.